Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Amish Day & A Lesson Learned







Not everyone will think this is as exciting as I did... but trust me... it was ALOT of fun. For my birthday celebration my mom, mother in law, and sister in law all went to a town in WI (close to the condo) where the Amish had a small community. We spent the day going to bakery after bakery, shopping at their country store, and investigating as much as we possibly could!! The food was amazing... Pete made french toast with a loaf of their bread.. YUMMY. Their cinnamon buns were so big and delicious and I had a blast shopping at a wood working store that also sold crafts and other items. Char is great at asking questions without seeming intrusive and we talked to several people about their lives and businesses. I am going to learn how to make soy candles in the glass ball jars that we also use for canning. I bought two of them and LOVE the smell and look. I also bought a perennial for our garden in the back yard. It was a great day of talking, exploring and enjoying a taste of a world so far from our own. (Amy, we thought of you often... next time you need to come with!!)

Also, I have been realizing something that I find very intriguing. The more I think about what I want and focus on myself, the crabbier I seem to be. When I'm worried about helping someone or thinking of what I can do for someone else... I am content. I know that the Bible talks about selfishness alot for a reason and that is something I'm working on. Whenever I start to think "I need a break" or "I just can't keep up with everything on my plate" I stress and make myself so irritable. The pastor of the church we go to in WI spent this week on how important it is to give (not just money but our time, energy & our gifts) to God and to others. I am going to focus on this all week.

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit,but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another more important than himself; Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I LOVE visiting the Amish communities, Tina! :-) THANKS FOR THINKING OF ME! :) I might actually be able to go to Lancaster, PA later this year...yea!

    Glad you had such a nice time, Tina!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philippians 4:3 I love that verse. Sorry I haven't updated. I have been taking a break to focus on other things. I suppose I should do some sort of something :)

    ReplyDelete